If you're looking for a naturally delicious, quick and easy lunch or dinner, then look no further. This hearty sandwich is as satisfying as it is nutritious - watch out, or you'll be having it every night of the week!
- 360g (2 packs) of our Traditional & Tender Roast Bites
- 2 tsps oil for cooking
- 8 slices of sourdough bread (or any bread of your choosing)
- 1/2 head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 knob of vegan butter
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 125ml red wine vinegar
- 150ml agave syrup or maple syrup
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 200g fresh spinach
- 300ml plant-based milk (we use oat, but it's up to you!)
- 25g vegan butter
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 tsp miso paste or soy sauce
- 50 grams white breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp mustard
- Pinches of salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium horseradish root, peeled and finely grated (slice off the tough white exterior after peeling and before grating)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (we use apple cider)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- a pinch of pepper
- Red cabbage: Add the red cabbage, rosemary, olive oil, vegan butter, red onion, red wine vinegar, agave syrup and red chilli to a pan and cover with 300ml of water. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat, covering and gently cooking for 1½ hrs, stirring frequently. If too dry, add more water.
- Bread sauce: Simmer the milk, vegan butter, chopped onion, cloves, garlic cloves, bay leaf, thyme and miso paste in a pan for 20 mins. Stir the breadcrumbs into the pan and simmer on a low heat for around 3 minutes. The sauce should start to thicken and form a relatively smooth consistency. Add in the mustard, then season with salt and pepper. Your bread sauce is ready!
- Horseradish sauce: Mix together the grated horseradish, mustard, vinegar, vegan mayonnaise, and pepper in a small bowl. Stir until fully combined.
- Roast Bites: Heat 2 tsps oil in a pan over medium heat. Add in the bites and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the bread slices out flat and top up 4 of them with the spinach, red cabbage, bites, vegan bread sauce and horseradish sauce. Place the other 4 slices on top of them. Serve up and enjoy!
We hope you loved this recipe as much as we do! We'd love to hear/see how you got on with it, so please share an image and tag us on Instagram!