Difficulty rating: For rookies Serves: 4 people
If you're a fan of our original Carbonara, then you're going to love this summer twist! Using our brand new Sweet & Smoky Rashers and in-season courgettes, this dish is that perfect summer evening meal in the sunshine (when we have some!).
Recipe adapted from It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
- 300g (2 packs) of our Sweet & Smoky Rashers
- 3 tsp of oil for cooking
- 240g of dried spaghetti or linguine
- 1 courgette, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parsley and vegan parmesan, to serve
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (such as soy or almond)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon black salt (also called kala namak), use regular salt if preferred
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When hot add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onion turns translucent and begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle over the flour and stir to coat the onions, let cook for about 60 seconds, then whisk in all of the remaining ingredients. Cook the sauce for about 5 minutes until thickened, whisking as needed. If the sauce gets too thick, add a splash more non-dairy milk, and if the sauce is too thin, simply cook it longer.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add in the courgettes and cook either side for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add in the rashers and cook for 3 minutes on each side until browned. Once slightly cooled, crumble up the rashers.
- Add the cooked pasta and crumbled tempeh rashers to the sauce and toss well to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley and vegan parmesan if desired.