Modified from The Hidden Veggies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oil of your choice (we use rapeseed oil)
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon oil of your choice (we use rapeseed oil)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cups diced mushrooms
- 140g baby spinach
- 900g firm tofu
- 1/4 cup melted margarine
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cups plain soy milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 2/3 cup vegan cheese, shredded
- 120g (approx. 4 rashers) of Better Nature Tempeh Rashers, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon melted margarine optional for brushing on the top after baking
InstructionsTO MAKE THE PASTRY:
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl then pour in the oil and boiling water. Mix well until it forms a ball.]
- Place the ball of dough on a piece of parchment paper and push it flat. Cover with the second piece of parchment paper.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough flat between the parchment, then peel off the top sheet. Use the bottom piece of parchment to help you flip the crust onto the pie dish and peel off the second piece of parchment.
- Pinch around the edges forming the pie crust into an even edge.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Dice onion and saute it in a little oil over low heat until translucent.
- Add diced mushrooms sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and continue to saute until they begin to release their juices.
- Add baby spinach and stir for a few minutes until the spinach just barely wilts, then turn off the heat.
- Break up the tofu into smaller pieces so it fits in your food processor. (You may have to do this in 2 batches if you don't have a large food processor).
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 tsp. salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and melted margarine to your food processor and blend. (It will turn into a crumbly grainy mixture).
- Slowly add soy milk, 1 tbsp at a time, blending between each tbsp until the tofu mixture turns from crumbly to a very thick paste.
- Add the tofu mixture to the sauteed veggies along with vegan cheese, and Tempeh Rashers. Mix well.
- Pour the combined tofu-veggie mixture into your formed pie crust and pack the tofu down firmly and evenly in the pie dish.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 1 hour.
- Brush the top of the quiche with an additional tbsp of melted margarine if desired for a shiny glow.
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes before cutting to allow it to set a little and firm up.
We hope you loved this recipe as much as we do! We'd love to hear/see how you got on with it, so please share an image and tag us on Instagram!